Keep in Touch!

This blog distributes my emails weekly to anyone who reads it. If you would like to personally message me, please contact me at hall.richard@myldsmail.net.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Someone Great

Hello Everybody!

This week was fantastic. For the first time on my mission I have the
opportunity to be companions with somebody that I was already
companions with. I was companions with him this time last year. It was
pretty fun to look back at my journals from this time last year. We
are enjoying hitting the ground running so quickly. It is a shame that
my companion is no longer a ridiculously strong Tongan who would lift
washers on his own, but Elder M and I get along well.

We showed up to one of our lessons with an elderly lady. When she
opened up she apologized. "I'm sorry elders, I didn't want to cancel
on you, so we can study a bit before I call an ambulance." It was a
nice gesture, but we called 911 for her. Turns out, she was having a
heart attack. Thank goodness, she is doing okay. However, between this
and her asthma, it is getting harder and harder for her to get
baptized. She has such an amazing attitude about life, though. We were
sharing with her the families and temples pamphlet, and she was almost
in tears. "I never knew what Christ gave Peter the binding power. That
is what temples are for? I can be with my family forever?" It is
tender for people to realize that the sealing power is here on this
earth, and that it can link all of us back to our Father in Heaven.

It is so important to express our love and our appreciation. When we
teach people about prayer, we help them recognize that when we first
address our Fahter in Heaven, we begin by expressing our gratitude.
"Thank thee for..." "I am grateful for...". When we invite people to
pray to know if the Book of Mormon is the word of God, we read verse
three of the Book of Moroni, chapter 10, verse five.
"Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if
it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember
how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the
creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these
things, and ponder it in your hearts."
Before we even ask a question to our loving Father in Heaven, we open
up our hearts for personal revelation by acknowledging his works in
the past. It shouldn't be much different when looking at our loved
ones. When I write to my brothers and sister, or my parents, how often
do I let them know I love them? Last week I passed the bishop of our
congregation, who was deep in a conversation with a member of the
stake presidency. My companion was a little ahead, but the bishop
stopped his conversation pulled me aside, and simply said, "Hey, I
love you. You are doing great things. I appreciate what you are
doing." What did I do? I don't know, I've done a lot things. But you
should know that this week I worked as hard as I could, not just for
the Lord, not just for me, but for my investigators, for the bishop.

Expressing love leaves yourself vulnerable. It is either going to be a
moment of embrace, or a moment of hurtfulness. That is why many people
avoid it in general. Often leaders cannot stop themselves from doing
it. Let me rephrase that: true leaders cannot stop themselves from
doing it. Leaders are lovers, and they are hard lovers. They do it
all, and they do it right. What is a leader? Who really is a leader?

I hope you are all staying warm and dry. I was never a fan a snow, and
not a huge advocate of rain. When I go to the beach, I sit in the sand
and look at the water. When I go to the pool, it is usually not my
idea. Showers are wonderful

Elder Richard Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment